Friday 13 December 2013

Yippee! It’s a Half Century


                                  



Hey! I’ve scored a half century guys and still Not Out :e. Wow! Isn’t it amazing? Oh! Are you wondering if I play cricket? No, I don’t. Then what is this half century about?

Well, I was just updating my ‘Currently Reading’ shelf on GoodReads (goodreads.com - the world's largest site for readers) and as soon as I clicked on ‘I’m finished’ for a book (For One More Day by Mitch Albom), I noticed that I have read 55 books. At least GoodReads’ stats say so :tup.

Now, those who like to pick up a book only when they are sleep deprived ;) must be saying in their minds – How could you and what is there to be so happy about it?  And those, who are into reading, must be thinking – what’s the big deal? Just 55 books? But I am sure those who read must be able to understand what an amazing journey I have had while going through these books.

I had never been a reader, neither in school nor in college. I never read books except the ones in my course every year. In fact I used to hate reading and whenever I saw anyone reading I was like – BAH! (Sorry for this :( ) But then a change happened and I am glad that it happened as now I cannot think of living without books and reading. They have become an inevitable part of my life. I now realize what I had been missing when I was not reading. Yet, it is better late than never, right? Soon I will be celebrating my second birthday as a reader ^_^. Did I hear a few of you saying – ‘2 years and 55 books, then it is okay’. WOH, what a relief!

No! Seriously, do you really think it is the number that matters? Of course I am happy with this sense of achievement of scoring a half century however I strongly agree with –

“In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.” 
 
Mortimer J. Adler


And believe me, books actually change you, but only for good. I started reading when I was going through the lows of my life and picked up a book so I could get rid of all the crap going on in my head. Initially it took some effort, but soon I read one after the other and then I never looked back. Ask me, what will I consider as one of the best moments and I will say – Reading a book while sitting on a window side, with a cup of coffee, which I am sure, would remain untouched as books are like drugs and reading is an addiction which makes you forget the world around you and that too with all the positive effects.

I have been asked one question many times and by many people. One day, a friend asked me the same question – ‘What do you get out of these books?’ :/ Of course she does not read and was pissed off with me as it is usual between us that I don’t hear to what she says when I am reading. When I heard her question, I smiled and then laughed but only to enrage her more. I replied – ‘I won’t be able to make you understand what I get from them. It is something that you won’t understand unless you experience it yourself.’


Here I am trying to put in words, what they actually mean to me or an answer to – ‘What I get from them?’

Like wind in the boundless space
You let my imagination soar
In this one lifetime
I got so many lives to explore

I discover world after world
As we voyage through times
I meet different people
And live through their lives

I laugh with them
And you join my laughter
I cry with them
And you give me a shoulder

When I feel their pain
I scream holding you tight
I celebrate their love and happiness
With utmost delight

I undergo several emotions
Through your pages
The time spend with you
Give me experience of ages


You help me grow wiser
With each day passed
You bring me hope
When everything seems so dark

You give me strength
When I am scared and broken
You motivate me
When I feel discouraged and shaken

You bring the answer
To my every question
You are the mirror
Where I can see my reflection

Together with you I travel
Not just in the outer world
But I travel into my own self
With so many lessons learnt

You are the most patient
Telling me a story every night
Through you I understand
The secrets of life

I know you will never leave me
Unless I decide to go away
Whenever I’ll come to you
You will love me back the same way

You have been a teacher,
A motivator and a counselor
I feel so fortunate
As in you I have found a friend forever.


These are my views about reading and books. If you are a non-reader, start reading and experience the magic yourself. If you are a reader, please share your thoughts. I would love to know about - ‘What do you get from books?’
 



9 comments:

  1. 55 books, that is amazing score... Congratulations! I really enjoyed the poem. I will show it to few librarians who I know quite well :)

    And remember - only smart people read books.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K :) It would be my pleasure to hear from the librarian you are talking about, really. And yes I would say every one should read to become smart :)

      Delete
  2. First of all congrats for hitting a half century ;-) i wish you could complete a century by the end of the next year!
    Well while coming to the matter, i love reading books not only books i also like to read the posts in several blogs... and i would love to write a comment!
    Till now i have read only 2 books but i felt like i have done a great job! But now after reading your post my expression is like this :-O
    I completely agree with you, books change our life... when i have done with reading a book i was unable to come out of the characters. The situations and the characters were revolving in my head irrespective of the work i do.. Even in my dreams! That was an amazing experience for me and a strange feeling too...
    A last word for you... i have seen your blog through a post in preeti shenoy ma'am's blog and read all your posts in a single day and finally concluded that you are sooo talented and blessed with skills... I became a regular visitor of your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I am really glad that you like my blog. Keep reading no matter books or blogs as the end result is the same - we evolve.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Geevika :) 55 is just a number. what matters is that you READ (and of course, WRITE, but the blog is about reading :) ). And as you wrote in the poem, books take you with them, through emotions, distant places throughout the world, all this is very true. Read this somewhere:
    "I dont remember the books I read. I dont remember the food that I had either. But they made me what I am"

    So, keep reading and keep growing. Waiting for your century :) Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harmeet, not just a century but a long way to go :) And I agree books, if they get through you, make us what we are.

      Delete
  4. I think I completed my half century of reading books maybe an year back. Not reading from quite a while. Suggest few of them which might be worth a read. Not interested in love stories or thrillers,but some meaningful stuff. Avoid suggestions of booker or noble prize winners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, congrats for your half century... For suggestion, I m not sure which genre you like to read, may be marketing So I would say please visit goodreads.com if you are not already there. I hope it will help. Happy Reading!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. A comment to share your views about this post is highly appreciated :)