Tuesday 15 January 2013

Thank You Dad

I remember those days when I was a kid,
It was a morning ritual before I went to school
You used to iron my uniform and polish my shoes
I always made faces, for how you did is not so cool.


On the way to the school
Sometimes even when I was not asking,
you used to buy me some candies
not missing it a single morning.

In the evenings, when you came home after work
Without showing a sign of tiredness on your face
You became a horse for me to ride
And asked me if I want to go to grand ma’s place.

When our travel game got over
You used to hold me in your hands up in the air
made me to dance on the song you sang
 “Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Vijaya butter”.


When mom cooked the dinner
you cooked up a new story for me every night.
You fed me the dinner from your hands
And everything seemed to be perfectly all right.

Whenever you wanted me to accompany you
somewhere without mother
I never agreed until you bought me some chocolates
Even when I cheated on you, you always laughed rather.

As I grew up, candies turned to money
Whenever I came to you before leaving and said – ‘Papa’
You understood, smiled and gave me some rupees
I requested you not to tell mom
And you always kept the promise.

During my exams, I always slept without worrying
Because I knew that you would spoil your sleep
Not once, not twice but so many times,
To wake me up early in the morning.

While I grew up I started thinking
that its mom not you who understands me.
A gap was built between us,
I did not care about the reason and let it be.

You started teasing and laughed at me that
I am a mamma’s daughter
But somewhere we were aware
that it was the truth behind your laughter.

I shared all my secrets with mom
never told you about what’s going on
and never asked for your suggestions
until you used to ask or reckon.


I got irritated with the questions you kept on asking
I fought with you on every little thing,
Misbehaved and yelled at you
when I thought I was right and you knew nothing.

When I started living away for my job
I called up mom daily and shared everything.
Even when we talked, I fought with you and disconnected
You needed to ask mom about my health and well being.

Time changed and I learnt my own lessons
What I thought was a generation gap was your experience.
Every reason you gave to me now makes sense
Everything you said and suggested was life’s essence.

You believed in me and supported every decision I made
You made me stand taller when I was so afraid.
You taught me to be strong to face life each day
You stood by me and assured everything is gonna be ok.


You always tried more to be a friend than just a father
I failed to respect those feelings and did not bother.
You raised me like a son and taught me to be independent
But what I brought to you was only disappointment.

I feel ashamed as I never appreciated anything you did for me
How I became so thank less and did not notice.
I cannot forgive myself for making you to cry
All you wanted was my happiness but I turned a blind eye.

But now I know why fathers are so adorable and precious
For whatever I have done, you treated me like a princess.
You are the best man I have ever known in my life
I won’t be able to thank you ever, no matter how much I try.

I want to say it now as I have never told you this before
Dad, I love you from my heart’s core.
Though I have always been called mamma’s daughter
But I love to be my dad’s little girl forever.




Papa ki pari hoon mein (I am my dad’s angel)…

2 comments:

  1. it's very beautiful....every word essays my thoughts...i would have wanted to say the exact things to my dad. Thanks for making me remember that i should tell my Dad once again i love him.
    Muah...lovely poem girl. Way to go :)

    Love
    Pooja

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you have written here, made me realize that dads are the same around the world. And it is really hard to notice the little things which you have noticed...

    Thank you for lovely poem and for restoring of my memories.

    K.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. A comment to share your views about this post is highly appreciated :)